ECE 642 Design and Analysis of Computer Communication Networks (3:3:0), Fall semester 2010
|Prerequisites:||ECE 528 and 542, or equivalent|
|Time:||Wednesday 4:30 - 7:10 pm|
|Office hours:||Wednedays 2:00 - 3:30 pm, other times by appointment|
|Office:||Engineering Building, Room 3232|
|Goal:||Modeling of computer networks using basic concepts in queueing theory, analysis of state-dependent queues, imbedded Markov chains, and networks of queues; throughput-delay analysis of local and wide area networks; routing and IP-based networks; other topics include Multi Protocol Label Switching Traffic Engineering (MPLS-TE), OSPF, BGP and other Internet protocol Performance modeling, CSPF and Path Computation; random access and polling schemes, capacity allocation, flow and congestion control, routing and IP-based networks.|
Tentative Course Outline
- Background and review of basic concepts in computer networks, review of discrete random variables, point processes.
- Introduction to queueing theory, M/M/1 queue, state probabilities, expected queue size and delay, Little¡¯s formula.
- Markov chains and M/M/1 queueing systems, imbedded Markov chain: the M/G/1 queue.
- The imbedded Markov chain analysis of time-division multiplexing.
- Networks of queues, open queueing systems, closed queueing systems, Independence assumption.
- Congestion control and modeling using closed queueing networks.
- Constraint-based routing, Multi Protocol Label Switching (MPLS), and traffic engineering.
- Statistical multiplexing gain, congestion control and routing in MPLS networks, analysis of leaky bucket rate control algorithm, delay bounds.
- Performance of local and wide area networks incorporating routers.
- Performance analysis of polling and random access techniques.
- Queueing modeling of higher level protocols, or other selected topics.
- D. Bertsekas, and R. Gallager, , Data Networks, Prentice-Hall, 1992 (main text).
- Bijan Jabbari, Lecture Notes, 2007.
- J. Walrand, and P. Varaiya, , High Performance Communication Networks, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 2nd edition, 2000.
- Schwartz, M., Telecommunication Networks: Protocols, Modeling and Analysis, Addison Wesley, 1987.
- Schwartz, M., Broadband Integrated Networks, Prentice-Hall, 1996
- Hayes, J., Modeling and Analysis of Computer Communications Networks, Plenum, 1986.
- Class Notes
- Homework 5%
- Term-paper 20%
- Mid term Examination 35%
- Final Examination 40%