ECE 741 Wireless Networks, Spring semester 2015
|Prerequisites:||ECE 528 and 542, or equivalent|
|Time:||Monday 4:30 -7:10 pm|
|Location:||Nguyen Engineering Building 1107|
|Office hours:||Tuesday 4:00 - 5:30 pm, other times by appointment|
|Office:||Eng. Bldg Rm 3232|
|Goal:||This class will cover necessary foundation and the state of the art application for Wide Area and Local Area wireless networks. In a nutshell, this course will give you the basis for understanding the radio and infrastructure aspects of the wireless networks and wireless Internet.|
Tentative Course Outline
- Overview of Wireless Communications and Networking; background and review of fundamentals (1 lecture)
- Characterization of the wireless medium (1 lecture)
- Principles of cellular wireless networks (1 lecture)
- Wireless medium access alternatives (1 lecture)
- Basic traffic and mobility models (2 lecture)
- Handoff strategies and analysis (1 lecture)
- Channel assignment and routing strategies (1 lecture)
- Application of traffic and mobility models in planning and design of wireless (1 lecture)
- Wireless Local Area Networks: IEEE 802.11/wifi and LTE (2 lectures)
- Ad hoc and sensor networks (1 lecture)
- Mobile IP (1 lecture)
- Wireless Internet (1 lecture)
- Packet CDMA and admission policies
- Analysis of traffic performance of multi-tiered cellular networks
- Copies of the manuscript Wireless Networks, B. Jabbari and X. Lagrange will be distributed.
- Mischa Schwartz, Mobile Wireless Communications, Cambridge University Press, 2005 (ISBN 0-521-84347-2).
References and Additional Readings:
- Dimitri Bertsekas and Robert Gallager, Data Networks, Prentice-Hall, 1992.
- Robert Gallager, Digital Communications, Cambridge Press, 2008.
- Homework 5%
- Term-paper 20%
- Mid term Examination 35%
- Final Examination 40%